Pages

Friday 9 March 2012

Law Ball



This Saturday night is the annual Law Ball; my first university formal!

In my mind I’m imaging scenes from ‘Prom’ and ‘High school musical’ but with age comes some wisdom and I know from my previous proms that sadly it will not be an event of any such calibre.

My first prom experience was in Year 11 which I was on the committee for. It was so exciting as my school was girls only and we had been told we were allowed to bring male dates!  This idea was simultaneously thrilling and terrifying as I barely knew any boys.

I asked my friend Dash to be my date and I, probably not so secretly, liked the guy. And due to all these cheesy American films I expected prom to be the most magical night of my life and I was sure that he would declare his true feelings for me.

Needless to say this did not happen; in fact he spent most of the night dancing with another girl.

My second prom experience was Year 13 and I went with my boyfriend of the time who I was truly completely in love with.

However, that prom was equally unspectacular as I wasn’t completely recovered from a recent illness and I over did it slightly on the alcohol, which naturally resulted in copious unflattering photos.

The problem is, is that these events get so worked up and there is no way that it can amount to everything that you think it will be. Don’t get me wrong,  I am a big fan of romance, shoes and boys but I can’t help but think that these special occasions will never live up to my expectations.

Nonetheless, I am excited about Saturday night – I even got my nails done today! However, I feel like I’m being more sensible about the evening. I’ve not spent a total bomb on the dress,  I’ve not spent months in committee meetings  planning the event and (probably most importantly)I don’t have any unrealistic ideas about being swept off my feet by a boy.

xxxBxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment