Pages

Friday 3 May 2013

30 Ways To Save £1

Money Supermarket have created a challenge for us bloggers: To come up with #30 Ways To Save One Pound.

Why? You might ask? To celebrate the 30th birthday of the humble pound coin. How sweet!

This was actually a little trickier than I initially imagined, but I had fun doing it!

So, here are my 30 ways to save £1 (or more...)

1. Aldi
Before going away to University I was a bit of a food snob. However, in the past three years I have been converted to the wonders of Aldi! It offers super cheap alternatives for all the main branded goods.
So, if you're trying to save a few pounds I would highly recommend ditching Waitrose and coming over to Aldi.

2. Orange Wednesday
If you or a friend are on Orange Mobile then take advantage of the weekly Orange Wednesday offer which gives you get buy one get one free on cinema tickets! And, what's more, the codes apply to Pizza Express too!

3. Pizza Express
Pizza Express are always sending me vouchers or money off deals so sign up to their mailing service now! And it's not just Pizza Express, most restaurants will have a newsletter and signing up will mean that you are sent deals AND sometimes they send you a treat on your birthday too!

4. Ebay & Amazon
I always check Ebay and Amazon when I need a good deal. School text books are almost always available cheaper on Amazon.co.uk than from somewhere like Waterstones. 
On Ebay you can get some absolute steals, like my new Yoga Mat which I bought for under £2, including express delivery!

5. Use YouTube
Gyms are expensive, fact. But, YouTube is free! So instead of paying all those pennies towards a gym membership workout to videos online, or go for a run!
I am a huge fan of Blogilates, Casey (the instructor) is an absolute gem, I love her! And I would chose her videos over an expensive gym class any day.

6. Fitness First
Whilst on the exercise vibe let's talk Fitness First. FF are a national gym chain that on Friday's allow members to bring along a friend for free. So now would be a good time to cosy up to that hunk in your school class.

7. Student Discount
Always ask if a store does student discount, and if you're not a student then shop with someone who is!

8. MyUniDays
The same applies here. MyUniDays.com always has discount codes for online shopping such as Boohoo, River Island and Topshop. But you need a student number to register.

9. Transport
Try and walk everywhere. When going on long distance journeys use a railcard or research the costs of coaches. MegaBus offer very cheap tickets.

10. Asos
For starters, they pretty much always have free standard delivery! Plus, if you sign up for the newsletter then you'll hear first dibs when there is free next day delivery. 
What's more, its always smart to check Asos for brands you like before buying them on the brand website (E.G. River Island) as the price might be cheaper/free delivery/ 10% student discount...

11. Reward Cards
The Boots Advantage Card is just such a babe! You get points for every pound you spend, thus taking some of the guilt out of spending all your student loan there!
Superdrug have recently brought out a rewards card also, as have House Of Fraser.
It would be rude not to!

12. Spending Diary
This is a tip that my dad gave me years ago, back when I had a paper round. As well as putting 50% of your earnings in the bank (£6.50 back then) he advised me to write down all the things that I spent my money on. This is a horrible thing to do, it makes you feel bad, really bad. BUT, it is beneficial in the long run, it helps you work out what you can and can't afford. 
Also, there are often periods when I think that I've been really good and not treated myself at all and therefore should buy myself something pretty. But, when I look at my spending diary I realise that actually I've been buying things all the time.
Despite my horrible write up, this is actually a really smart thing to do!

13. Budget
Again, a boring grown up tip. Everytime you get money in, make a list of all your planned expenses (Phone bill, Electricity Bill, Friends' Birthdays etc) and then work out what you have spare to spend on you! But, as always, be sensible!

14. Meal Plan
Before you do your food shopping make a list of the meals you ae going to make that week and then stick to those ingredients only! (Well, unless there's a really good deal on Cadbury's Giant Buttons...)

15. Library
It seems like I am spending my entire life in the library at the moment. But they weren't created to make your life a misery. In fact, if you're not a final year student you will probably enjoy a trip!
I know this is obvious but, guys, books are free at the library...don't go spending money on buying one!

16. Sewing
I was never any good at Textiles at school, in fact I remember my mum re-making the pjyama shorts I made the night before the project was due, as when I tried them on they fell to pieces. But, even I can sew on a button. So next time your cardi button pops, instead of heading into town to buy a replacement, have a go at sewing it back on. With Youtube and Blogs carrying tutorials there's no excuse not to give it a go. If not you could always call up mum...

17. Leftovers
I love my microwave and I love leftovers. Seriously, even if you don't have that much to save, rather than throwing it out it can always be incorporated into a different dish!

18. Hankies
This may seem a little strange. But I have a stinking cold right now and all I can think is that I'm going to use up a whole toilet roll just on blowing my nose. But, if you had a few hankies you wouldn't be usind anything up as they can be washed and used again! + they are much kinder on your skin.

19. Shoeaholics
When I originally visited Shoeaholics I thought it must be a bit of a scam - hundreds of shoes at a disgustingly reduced price, too good to be true, right? Wrong! 
Shoeaholics sell shoes that have been on display, I received my order from them last week and the shoes are 99% perfect, and reduced from £110 to £29! Take a look!

20. Research Your Purchases
The internet is amazing. I like to use it to research all products before I buy them - especially nail polish to ensure that I like how the colour looks on the nail rather than just in the bottle. And writing your blog helps others too!
Blog Love!

21. Charity Shops
I love charity shops. I'm not one of those people who have come across discarded Chanel on my trips in, but I keep my fingers crossed! But, I have come across 50p Sally Hansen nail polishes! Charity shops are always worth a little peruse in, it's so much fun plus, you're doing something good with your money!

22. Phone Bill
This is really only something you can do when the time is right. But, Tesco is amazing for good phone deals. Seriously, when you need to - check them out. I just got the Nokia Lumia 800 on £15 a month, that's £10 less a month than I was paying for my Blackberry on Orange. 

23. Groupon
I'm sure you all know about Groupon. The annoying people who email you everyday, multiple times. 
Yes they are annoying. But, when they have something you're looking for they have great deals! So next time you're looking to treat yourself, take a gander and save some pennies!

24. Poundland
Oh Poundland, how I love thee. If you're unfamiliar with poundland, the concept is simple. Everything in ths shop is, you guessed it, £1. They sell snacks to DVDs to Rimmel nail polish.
I love when you're shopping in Poundland and a new person is there and they ask you in disbelief: "I can get four of these, for a pound?!" and I love replying "YES!"

25. Fakeaway
Chiken Tikka Masala. Chicken Chow Mein. Delicious, yay! Expensive, boo!
All the supermarkets do great ready meal feasts for 2 on the classic takeaway dishes. It's still not mega cheap, but you'd still save yourself money than if you had splurged for the real thing, and it's equally delicious!

26. Home Spa
Oh my goodness, what a treat it would be to go to the spa. Even to just get my nails done. But, in the spirit of scrimping - make a home spa!
Light some candles, invite the girls over and crack open the wine! All bring your favourite face masks and nail polishes and really spoil yourselves!

27. Pack Snacks
If you pack snacks when heading out then you are far less likely to buy them. Afterall, food is so expensive when out. 
I always think you can't go too far wrong with a bottle of water and a cereal bar in your bag.

28. Kick the Starbucks Habit
I know, I know. Home brewed coffee is just not the same as a tall caramel machiaato. But when the funds are low, Starbucks is not your friend.
I recently bought myself a flask from Starbucks so that I don't buy coffee on campus + because it has the Starbucks sign on it, it still feels like a little bit of a treat. 

29. Avoid ATM charges
Just a little way to save a little money. Never use the ATMs which charge you. I know they are always placed in convenient places (next to the bar) but it's just so much better to just trot 5 minutes up the road and take your money out for free. It's just the principle of it more than anything else. 

30.Learn to Say NO
When in the queue and tempted by a bag of chocolates for a pound, just say NO. When Asos tells you there's a 24hr sale on beauty products (including Benefit's Browzings which you've had your eye on for a while), just say NO.
This really is the simplest way to save money, don't spend it on non-essential items. Tough but true.

So, what do you think? This was actually pretty hard, haha.

What's also exciting about this challenge is that any blog can get involved and earn £1 per idea!
What's more, all entries will be put into a hat and the winner will receive £1,000!
AND, if they receive over 1,000 entries the prize money will be doubled to a whopping £2,000!!

So what are you waiting for?


No comments:

Post a Comment